Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Oktava ORTF question

On 5/10/2020 5:40 PM, Tatonik wrote:

I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup.Â* At
the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
decrease from 110 degrees to 90.Â* However, I recall reading (in this
newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid.Â* In that case, would it
better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
angle of 110?

ORTF is just a name for a setup that works, and most cardioids aren't
perfect cardioids anyway. Try it at 110 degrees. If the center of the
image is weak, move them inward a bit.

That's the way spaced mic setups go. You twiddle them so that they work.