Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default Micing a harp

Chris Whealy wrote in -
ag.de:

In about 6 weeks, I need to record a performance that includes a pedal
harp. I've never had to mic such an instrument before so I'd like some
opinions on the best way to tackle it.

I regularly mic a harp in a choral/orchestral setting, both to record and
as sound reinforcement for solos.

I place a figure-8 microphone pointing toward the sound board about 3/4
down from player to floor and about 1 to 1.5 feet above the board. Point
the mic mostly down (vertical) and the orchestra as a whole will be in the
doughnut shaped null around the mic. Make sure it's out of the way of the
harpist. Don't want her slapping it as she reaches for the low strings.

This configuration gives me adequate isolation and resonant sound.

My microphone choice is probably overkill for your situation, but I like
it. It's a Schoeps CMC6 with 6G multipattern capsule.