Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Default Micing a harp

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:

In about 6 weeks, I need to record a performance that includes a pedal
harp. I've never had to mic such an instrument before so I'd like some
opinions on the best way to tackle it.

Ignore it. It's part of the band. Mike the band, not the harp.

To provide some background: The harp will be part of a 28 piece
orchestra that is accompanying a 90 member choir plus various soloists.
The musicians are in the corner of the hall. Due to the acoustics of
the hall and layout of the stage area, the string section (violins,
viola, cello, harp) need to be at the back of the orchestra. The
spacing between the musicians is tight (think orchestra pit).

That doesn't sound good, but it's going to be harder on the audience than
on you.

I think a contact mic on the sound board would be a good approach due to
the proximity of other musicians, but I don't know which type would be
suitable. I can usually source most microphones from a local hire
company, so purchase cost is not an issue since we won't be buying.

You will not get anything approaching a real harp sound that way, because
you will lose all the string attack. You MIGHT consider something like a
441, raised up and pointing down.

Experience from anyone who's done this before would be appreciated.

If you are in such bad straits that you have to spot the harp, you're going
to have to spot the basses too. It is not going to be pretty.
--scott

Hmmm, thought you'd say that... OK, scrap the contact mic idea

Got to hire in some Schoeps cardioids anyway to make an ORTF pair, so I
could add a 441 to the list.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.