Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Micing a harp

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:53:47 +0200, Chris Whealy
wrote:

In about 6 weeks, I need to record a performance that includes a pedal
harp. I've never had to mic such an instrument before so I'd like some
opinions on the best way to tackle it.

To provide some background: The harp will be part of a 28 piece
orchestra that is accompanying a 90 member choir plus various soloists.
The musicians are in the corner of the hall. Due to the acoustics of
the hall and layout of the stage area, the string section (violins,
viola, cello, harp) need to be at the back of the orchestra. The
spacing between the musicians is tight (think orchestra pit).

I think a contact mic on the sound board would be a good approach due to
the proximity of other musicians, but I don't know which type would be
suitable. I can usually source most microphones from a local hire
company, so purchase cost is not an issue since we won't be buying.

Experience from anyone who's done this before would be appreciated.

Chris W

I would suggest you leave the question of musical balance to the
musical director (conductor) and mic the entire ensemble in standard
classical fashion. Don't make special provision for any instruments
unless there is a specific soloist, who you may want to spot mic; even
then, don't actually use the spot mic track unless the soloist really
is vanishing in the mix, and needs lifting just very slightly.

The way you mic the ensemble is a matter of personal taste, and what
mics you have available, but think in terms of ORTF and XY if you have
nice cardioids, and spaced omni or maybe Jecklin disc otherwise.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com