Robert Morein

Default Counterpoint - Examples of technically-competent appearing small loudspeaker projects on the web.

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:06:34 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently

designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

I think that the interesting thing about this is that he has
measurements showing a change in measured performance after break-in
of drivers. There are some around here who claim that it's only a case
of "user break-in".

As far as I know, it's an accepted requirement that in order to measure
stable T-S parameters for a woofer, the woofer must be broken in first.

As far as breaking in a tweeter, "microfriction" is a concern in the design
of modern mid frequency drivers. It's now believed by many that the
surrounds have friction properties as well as those characterized by loss.
In other words, the driver can stick microscopically as the cone moves.
Proper choice of surround and suspension materials minimizes microfriction.
Here as well, breakin may be useful.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an

important
addition to the existing choices.