Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On May 1, 11:00*am, Audio_Empire wrote:
On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:37:45 PM UTC-7, KH wrote:
On 4/30/2013 9:54 AM, Audio_Empire wrote:

*I find they are

clearly capable of providing a solid image, just not a recreation of a

soundstage out in front of you.

I've never heard a pair of phones do this and I've a number of pairs.
Everything from
Sony MDV-6 and AKG K-340's, to Hifiman HE-500s and Stax SR-007s (the
original
ones from the 1980's). Even when playing a REAL stereo recording, I get
right, and
left images and everything in between is in my head, I.E. it literally
sounds like it's
inside my head!

Thats true....but given time I have found my perception adapts and a
very large 3-D image resolves even with distance creating a sense of a
large space inside your head.
The perceived size of a space is just a matter of scale which human
perception adapts to quite easily if you give it a chance.

ScottW

It's the "inside my head" part that bothers me. Not saying here that I
don't or can't listen to headphones , obviously, I do. When recording,
for instance, I have a pair of big, clumsy Koss Pro-4AAs clamped to my
head because they are the most isolating phones I know of next to a
pair of David Clark aviation phones, and they're (A) expensive, and (B)
monaural.
I listen to my HiFiMan HE-500s using my HiFiMan tubed headphone amp
as part of my stereo all the time. When editing recordings using
Audacity, I use my Stax with its tubed amp/polarizing driver (don't use
them on my stereo because the cord isn't long enough and I can't get an
extension from Stax any more)

A_E