Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

snip

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

Good. Sound reinforcement was never my responsibility even
when I was in this band.

OK.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN
DOING A GIG.

The amp was not essential to the gig; we just wanted to use
it to make announcements during the performance, as it was
also a memorial to the founder of the band who had just
died a week before. Since we were playing in a relatively
small room, we make do without.

OK. Still, next time, test something before you try to use it.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time,
huh?

Nope. We're an acoustic band, generally play without any
sound reinforcement at all.

OK. I sort of thought this may be the case. I suppose when you
played a larger venue, you would just use their PA system so did
not need to know anything about sound reinforcement at all.

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong
with it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have
a single XLR cable in the house?

Nope. You see a problem with that?

Slight. IMO, it is always good to know /a little/ about things
which, however occasionally, enter you field of vision.

Hmm. What kind of band?

Eastern European and Balkan folk and popular (from a
previous century) music. Mostly totally obsolete music that
most people haven't heard and don't care about.

Don't assume anything. I like medieval folk music as much as I
like The Sex Pistols /and/ The Carpenters. I do NOT care for
acoustic-guitar-based "folk songs" played by Californians, but a
lot of European folk music, Irish especially, is really cool.
/And/ Eastern-Eur.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid