Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
bob u bob u is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

On 9/16/2010 7:19 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Sure enough, removing the nut from the phone jack
allowed the whole unit to slip rather easily out of
the case

Sheesh. You "shoulda" known enough to do that,
at least. Good grief.

Its not really self evident that the jack is connected to
the PC board. When I took mine apart, I certainly did
NOT think it was that way. I eventually figured it out,
but it took a while. I assumed it was just a raw jack
connected with loose wires to the amplifier.

This sort of assembly is not that uncommon, as it reduces manufacturing
costs. It also makes testing the amplifier a bit easier. I've seen expensive
equipment that did the same thing, making the device virtually
unassembleable.

Its always a challenge these days to get apart some modern
"Unfixable"electronics. They really don't want you to fix them or
open them up. I sometimes get LCD monitors with issues that i
try to fix. Its always a game to figure out where on the case
the latches are on the clam shell and to pry and not bugger up
the case too much. I usually get them apart, but sometimes
there are "battle scars" in the process.

Even some remote controls are not the easiest things to open up.
I solved that by just giving them to my wife. She gets mad
and throws them at me and they mysteriously open up in parts...

the real fun is trying to get a power supply or such apart that
is spot welded together or glued. Thats more of a 50/50 deal
if you can get it apart without destroying it.

I like a good joke as much as anyone else. But when someone ask for help
and is maybe not a expert at least cut the guy some slack. Give an
answer and them make the smart comments.

bob