Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default OK - What is currently a good burner for audio CD?

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
So they are artifacts from the *playback device*.

Yep, that's what I said!
But the problem only occurs because of read errors on the disk. The

whole
idea is to make good disks so it doesn't occur. A good burner and good
disks
will achieve that.

It doesn't take "a good burner and good disks" to make recordings
above that very low level of quality. Practically any but the most
lousy drive and the very lowest-grade discs will produce recordings
free of those kind of playback artifacts.

As we agree, those artifacts are caused by the player not being able to read
the disk without errors. IME, and that of many others, a good burner and
good disks provide the best chance of minimising such errors. You MIGHT be
LUCKY with any old crap of course. As I mentioned elsewhere, a Plextor and
TayoYuden are not the only way to get good burns these days of course. But
one should at least check what the C1 and C2 error rate actually is IMO, if
you want a minimum level of reliability.

If people are experiencing those kind of problems, then they are
already at the lowest edge of minimal functionality. Time to buy
decent discs, etc.

So is it "decent disks" now, or still anything above the "very
lowest-grade"? Or are those terms completely arbitrary?

If even RedBook playback ECC can't recover
the lousy recordings then they have absolutely ZERO chance of
burning any kind of readable DATA disc and something is
dramatically wrong with either the burner drive or the discs.

Yep, but still all too common.

Remember that if you buy commodity discs with a "name brand"
of a company who merely OEMs discs from the cheapest source
of the month, you have no idea what you are getting from month
to month.
You could be getting premium Taiyo-Yuden discs one
month and junk the next month with the same "name brand" on
them.

Yep, which is why you should never buy from such companies! Buy from the
manufacturers instead, not the rebadgers.

Disc burners can not burn AUDIO artifacts. But they may burn
such lousy DIGITAL data that they cause readers to flounder.
My bet would be that people who are having these kinds of
problems are using trash discs.

And isn't that exactly what I've been saying all along? You OTOH say
anything above the "very lowest-grade" is OK.
I guess *your* definition of "very lowest-grade" is all encompassing! :-)

MrT.