Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default OK - What is currently a good burner for audio CD?

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:

The consenus seems to be that the modern Plextor is not in the same
league as the older models from that company. More like the Lite-Ons.
If good 4x burners are out of production, can someone suggest a few
modern alternative burners from their own experience that will burn
audio CDs without "static" or "motorboating" artifacts on heavily
modulated passages? It should have a SATA interface if possible.

It doesn't seem possible that the disc burner drive can possibly have
anything to do with audio artifacts (content-dependent or otherwise).
I would seriously discount the source of that information.

A bad burn can result in the sort of "static" and "motorboating", if
it's bad enough that the CD player's C1/C2 Reed-Solomon error
correction logic cannot recover the original burned data accurately.

When this happens, the CD player must mute the audio output, or
interpolate between known-good sample values, or do both of these
things. This can result in audible glitches in the music. Such
interpolations and mutings might be more audible during loud passages
than during quiet... this will depend on the severity of the defect
and on the specific muting/interpolation algorithms implemented in the
CD player.

A *really* bad burn can result in the CD player losing its
tracking-lock on the spiral, and either skipping or repeating whole
revrevrevrevrevolutions of the m!ic on the disc. That might be what
the OP is referred to as "motorboating".

In my experience, burning at moderate speeds, with high-quality blank
discs, seems to produce the best results.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO