Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Kevin McMurtrie Kevin McMurtrie is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

In article ,
Walt Davidson wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:05:41 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

TV coax is very brittle. The inner wire is copper-plated steel and the
outer shield is aluminum wire and aluminum foil. It will quickly crack
where it meets the connectors.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen TV coax as you
describe. Coax with copper-plated steel inner conductor is mostly
used as data cable (ethernet).

73 de G3NYY

It's all I've ever seen for RG-6 TV cabling. Try sanding the tip to see
if it turns silver, or use a magnet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

It's really a TV-only thing. Copper plated steel wire won't work for
many applications.

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.