electricked

Default Capacitor, how to find out what size?

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:04:16 -0500, thelizman

Im anticipating that I will need a capacitor with my current setup.

You won't.

havent finished the install yet but I think more power will be needed.
How do you know what size cap to get? Is there a formula or something?

Many shops will tell you 1 fd / 1000 watts. Then they'll sell you one.
The latter should cast suspicion on the former.

Ive also heard that its possible to get too large a cap. Any truch to
this? and or can a cap too big damage the amp(s)

No. It won't. But it doesn't matter - you won't need a cap anyway.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

So what's your course of action when a customer complains about
flickering or dimming headlamps/dash lights, but he's not having any
battery charging problems? Do you tell him to "suck it up and live
with it", or do you sell him a high-capacity alternator or lower-ESR
battery that he doesn't really need?

I don't believe capacitors will make your system "louder", "cleaner",
or "hit harder", but I have seen small capacitors fix lighting
problems when the charging system was otherwise adequate.

Scott Gardner

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

--Viktor