Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Default possible to use car radio with car speakers in house?

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 9:42:49 PM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
Ok, long story short. I listen to music 99% of the time in my car.
Lately, after a long hiatus, I've gotten back into mixing, EQing, etc my
music. I learned long ago that what it sounded like in the house it
never did in the car and I'd have to readjust mixes many times until
they sounded right. Now I no longer have a home system, only the car.
Rather than continually dragging my laptop out into the car and doing
the mixes, which works because I plug into the same amp that my music
player uses, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the same car radio
and speakers in the house? I have a 2000 Mercury Sable. I've checked
on places like eBay and the radio seems available as a junk yard pull in
some cases, but with many wires so I'm not sure I could get it working
in the house. Your thoughts would be welcome. For years, I always
searched for a plug-in that would mimic what the car sounded like in the
house, but I never found one... by some miracle, maybe they have one now.

Thanks,
JBL

JBL? You make Speakers? :-)
Just rambling.... Decades ago (early 70's), I acquired a used 4 track car tape player from a friend. I hooked it up in the house and it was working, but had no 4 track cartridge tapes to play (only 8 track). I went to, maybe even Pep Boys, to see what could be bought. There, I found a Cozy Cole (drummer) 4 track tape, loaded it into the car player, and was pleased with the Big Band sound!

As one member of a Top 40 music group reported to me, their hit song was mixed with a pair of car speakers. Not sure any advantage doing it, but interesting to discover.

My HOME system is a 15 year old Acer Laptop (my mastering studio, too). I used it with a pair of Sony 7650(?) headphones, and it brings me great joy how well it sounds.

Good luck.

Jack