Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default possible to use car radio with car speakers in house?

On 15-02-2018 03:42, JBI wrote:

Ok, long story short. I listen to music 99% of the time in my car.
Lately, after a long hiatus, I've gotten back into mixing, EQing, etc my
music.

What do you mean when you write this? - do you create music or are we
taking creating muzak tapes of other peoples music?

I learned long ago that what it sounded like in the house it
never did in the car and I'd have to readjust mixes many times until
they sounded right. Now I no longer have a home system, only the car.
Rather than continually dragging my laptop out into the car and doing
the mixes, which works because I plug into the same amp that my music
player uses, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the same car radio
and speakers in the house? I have a 2000 Mercury Sable. I've checked
on places like eBay and the radio seems available as a junk yard pull in
some cases, but with many wires so I'm not sure I could get it working
in the house. Your thoughts would be welcome. For years, I always
searched for a plug-in that would mimic what the car sounded like in the
house, but I never found one... by some miracle, maybe they have one now.

Cars are special acoustic environments. Some bass frequency bands
resonate in them, some pass directly through the panels and bugger the
pedestrians. Overall however they are dominated by a very absorbent
interior and the large room gain at low frequencies that exists in a
small volume.

Get a proper system for playback in the living room, KEF Coaxials, Q15
or larger, Q30 are usable as nearfield full range monitors, I do just
that with my videoediting computer with a Sansui 217 mk II amplifier
that was fairly cheap considering that I wanted just that. Or look for
something Rotel at garagesales and fleamarkets.

Thanks,
JBL

Kind regards

Peter Larsen