Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Stereo from Mono

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:

Is there a converter between "conventional stereo" and "headphone
binaural?" Seems like there's a lot to do in order to change one to the
other. The Focusrite VRM Box (and their interfaces that have the
processor built in) emulates speakers when listening on headphones, but
that assumes that the source was mixed on speakers.

Right. And I'd call that a converter.

There have long been shuffler gadgets that reduce the hole in the center
and contract the soundstage. Headwise seems to be the most popular
manufacturer making them today. But that can't actually give you a proper
simulation of the stereo image the way the Focusrite box can.

These days, everybody checks a mix on headphones, but it's usually to
make sure that all of the important sound elements can be heard rather
than how the space is expressed. And if you're mixing panpot stereo with
your primary monitoring being headphones, there's only so much you can
do with it space-wise that won't be flattering when heard on speakers.

For the most part, I check on headphones either because I don't trust my
monitoring in the field, or because I want to make sure nothing too untoward
happens to the mix when people are listening on headphones. Because, as
I pointed out earlier, the vast majority of younger listeners are listening
on headphones now.

Two mixes? There are usually a few alternate mixes of commercial music
releases because they have the need and the money, so for an extra 59
cents a download they could make a "headphone optimized" mix.

For classical music, I certainly think this sort of thing could have a
future, if it could be marketed right.