Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sd sd is offline

Default High-End FM?

In article ,
Randy Yates wrote:

I'd like to get feedback on the following product idea: a very
high-end FM radio.

Here are some things that would set this radio miles apart from
the usual:

[list of technical advances snipped]

Price: not cheap ($5k?). Whaddya' think?

A non-starter. Frankly, the only FM I listen to anymore are two
local low-powered (but not LP) stations; the content there is
sufficiently different from the boring cr@p that everyone else plays
that I'd probably listen to them in mono if I had to (I sometimes
have to). Granted, my tastes in music are different from most
people. But listenership to terrestrial FM has been declining for
some time now; I don't think the quality of the sound is a critical
element in that decline.

Leaving aside the issues of repetitive, dumbed-down,
centrally-planned content, though, most stations here compand the
living daylights out of what goes to the stick. You can't add back
in what was taken out before the signal even is received. Spending
5K for the privilege ... I don't see it happening.

sd