Jonny Durango

Default DIY LS3/5A's

23T.
LS3/5A type crossover.
See also No.102
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the

LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching

set
of HF capacitors. Complete with recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£29.50

The real McCoy, Falcon style. The only option if you want to build a clone
as close as possible to the real thing - you will also have to use the

right
cabinet materials, damping elements and so on.

Awesome, this is the one I'll use then. Building the cabinet and damping
materials should be no problem. I'm an amateur guitar builder, so this
should be a very simple project relatively. Also, ls35a.com provides tons of
DIY drawings, datasheets, pictures and discussions about how to build
LS3/5A's specifically.

One more question, this is the last one, I promise! =) The description says
"tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching set of HF capacitors." Does this
mean the inductor is already tuned to the HF capacitors, or do I need to
tune it to the drivers themselves somehow? Thanks a million!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:37:53 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

Anyway, I've definately got a pair of B110A
(sp1003) and T27 (sp1032)....

OK, then you can build an LS3/5A clone.
:-)

here's the crossovers that falcon acoustics
lists for this combo:

3.
B110A/T27A (equiv.to DN13 SP1017 used in KEF Cresta II)
(PCB2)
£13.50

Not recommended, unless you want to build a Cresta clone.

23.
LS3/5A type crossover.
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the

LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and resistive HF attenuation. Complete with
recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£26.00

New version of the classic xover, but designed for the old drivers combo.
Could be a good choice if you're on a tight budget, but the finished

speaker
will be a variation on the LS3/6A theme.

23aB.
LS3/5A type crossover. Speaker Builder 4/81.
As 23 but with KEF aB tweeter section.
(PCB7)
£29.00

The HF section uses a derivative of the high pass filter designed by Kef

for
their 104AB (AB stands for Acoustic Butterworth). Quite good, with very
smooth highs and mids, but getting further away from the original design.