Jonny Durango

Default DIY LS3/5A's

My question, I have a pair of 8 ohm KEF B110's (sp1003) and a matching
pair
of KEF 8 ohm T27's (sp1032) pulled from a pair of 80's Fried Model B
monitors.

If I remember correctly, the Fried Model B used a B110 SP1057 and a

Dynaudio
D21.

actually I think you're right....the seller said they were removed from a
pair of 1980's Fried monitors but it couldn't be the model B's

I cannot find any useful info about this specific model and I need
to decide on what type of crossover to use.

Contact Falcon in the UK, they used to build xovers for various BBC
licensees, still have all circuit boards, components and schematics.

Here's their current price list for relevant xovers:

"100. LS3/5

Type Ferrite and polyester version with tapped HF inductor for original
units, B110-A6362 & B110-A6340. With cabinet construction details.
BBC type FL6/16. PCB7 £28.00

101. LS3/5A
Type To New spec for new units. I.D./Ferrite/AC and Solen Polypropylene
caps. Resistor ladder attenuation for tweeter attenuation. Suggested

layout
included. Components only (2 LS) £63.00

101T LS3/5A
Type As 101 but with tapped HF inductor and matching tap capacitors.
Components only (2 LS) £70.00

102 LS3/5A
Type FL6/23 (B110 SP1003/T27 SP1032) I.D Inductors and Polypropylene

Caps.
Tapped HF auto-transformer type I.D. Inductor and matching caps.

Components
only (2 LS) P.O.A.

http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/

More info is available in the "LS3/5-LS3/5A" section at the bottom of
http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/hintstipsgeneral.htm

This is VERY HELPFUL....thanks a ton, I check out their site and found tons
of crossovers for reasonable prices!

As I understand there was a
different crossover used after 1987 when manufacturing switched to KEF.

Manufacturing didn't switch to Kef. The Beeb redeigned the LS3/5A using
update components and simplifying the xover.

Should I use one of the newer crossovers, or the older pre-87 crossovers

for
these speakers or does it even matter?

It does matter... Just check the exact drivers you've got and get the

right
xover for them.

I did some more research and it appears they are from the KEF Constructor
series (CS1)...I don't know why the seller said they were from a pair of
Fried's....mybe they were modified Frieds? (modiFrieds, hehe)....they came
with templates and brochures and manuals and different crossover
reccomendations for different speakers. They recommend an sp1017 type
crossover for a b110/t27 combo, so I can only assume that if these papers
originally came with these speakers, then I should use a 1017 crossover.
This may have solved the problem, although if you have any more suggestions
I'm all ears! Thanks!!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.