Guitarman

Fred,

You wrote:
In another thread, Amy Krueger recommended SM-57s and -58s for a choir;
would those work for this application?

My recommendations is get yourself informed about the difference between a
dynamic mic, small diaphragm mic and large diaphragm mic. And in which
situation they are used.
(1) For peformance by a solo singer on a stage get a Shure SM 58. Itīs a mic
that can be hold in the hand while singing and handles high sound pressure
levels SPL's well. And it's robust. The SM57 is not really for vocals, but
more for use with a guitaramp and snare-drum.

(2) For a choir get a stereo pair of small diaphragm overhead mics that fits
within your budget. Read some reviews on the internet.

(3)For recording a solo vocal track get a large diaphragm microphone. These
mics are kinda expensive though.

(4) Use diaphragm mics always with a stand (tripod). These mics are not
suitable for holding in the hands while singing. And I am not talking about
grip here. It's for avoiding damage to the mics in the first place...
besides that they are so sensitive that you will hear every 'twist' that is
made back on the recording if they are kept in the hand while singing. And
schockmount are not invented for nothing.

(5) Also get a pop screen when you work with a large diaphragam mic.

Good place to start:
http://www.music123.com/Microphones-d175.music

Goodluck...

Best regards,