Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

Default Quad 99 Preamp with Quad 909 Amp Using Long Quadlink Connection

On May 18, 9:47=A0am, "Peter"
wrote:
Since I am considering switching to an all Quad HiFi system I was quite
disappointed to learn that the Quad Electroacoustics Company only offers =

its
special "balanced" Quadlink cables with a maximum length of one meter.

are you talking about XLR cables? If so, they are available in lengths
up to several hundred feet at least. A quick search for Quad
Electroacoustics indicated that at least some of the units used RCA
cables which are not balanced in the traditional sense.

In my setup the preamp is about 20 to 30 feet away from the power amp =A0=

(I
have to go around the room), since I am trying to follow the conventional
wisdom of keeping the power amplifier as close as possible to the speaker=

s.

Really? As long as the cable has sufficiently low gauge, this is not a
big deal. You are a bit better off using longer speaker cable than
longer interconnects since signal levels are very high and impedances
very low for speakers.

Therefore I contacted the Quad Company and was told that they recommend
using plain RCA cables for long runs between their 99 preamp and their 90=

9
power amp. =A0Frankly I cannot understand the reasoning behind this since
generally speaking balanced connections supposedly always provide better
results.

Again, do your units really have balanced inputs and outputs? If the
connector is an RCA jack, then yes, plain old RCA cables should work
fine. Assuming that the preamp has a well-designed relatively low
impedance output stage, it is unlikely that you need balanced cables
anyway since induced noise will be minimal. You would probably be
better off using longer speaker cables and shorter interconnects if
you are concerned about noise.

In light of the above I wonder if anyone might know a =A0company that wou=

ld be
willing to build a 30 foot Quadlink (AmpBus) cable which will indeed meet
Quad Company specs?

Sounds expensive and exotic! These must be really custom cables.
Longer speaker cables will be much cheaper since you can buy the wire
at a hardware store and just use the 1-meter cables that you already
have.