Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Peter is offline

Default Quad 99 Preamp with Quad 909 Amp Using Long Quadlink Connection

Since I am considering switching to an all Quad HiFi system I was quite
disappointed to learn that the Quad Electroacoustics Company only offers its
special "balanced" Quadlink cables with a maximum length of one meter.

In my setup the preamp is about 20 to 30 feet away from the power amp (I
have to go around the room), since I am trying to follow the conventional
wisdom of keeping the power amplifier as close as possible to the speakers.

Therefore I contacted the Quad Company and was told that they recommend
using plain RCA cables for long runs between their 99 preamp and their 909
power amp. Frankly I cannot understand the reasoning behind this since
generally speaking balanced connections supposedly always provide better
results.

In light of the above I wonder if anyone might know a company that would be
willing to build a 30 foot Quadlink (AmpBus) cable which will indeed meet
Quad Company specs?

I also wonder if someone might be able to provide me with a schematic for
the 15 pin connectors used for the Quad Quadlink cables, and perhaps also
the identification of the connectors themselves?

Thank you in advance for your very kind help and consideration.