Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default m-audio firewire 410

On 3/13/2020 10:37 AM, dimercaprol wrote:
Should I just dispose of the Firewire 410 and get a USB device instead? I am not a professional - just enjoy recording my own stuff for fun so I can't justify spending more than about £175.

Unless you think it's time to retire your old interface, what you might
do is dispose of the Firewire PCI card that you have and get one with a
chip set that's compatible with more Firewire audio interfaces. The
NVidia Firewire chip is one that's known to not work with several audio
devices.

Now I'll tell you that it's been years since I've set up a new Firewire
audio interface, but back in the day, I recall problems with chip set
incompatibility. I have a few systems set up and working (so far no
further advanced than Windows 7) but it's old audio hardware and old
interface cards.

I'd recommend one from Startech. It has a Texas Instruments chip set,
and that's one that had no known problems.

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Ad...pter~PEX1394B3

Here's a download link to a simple tool (just run the .exe file) that
will identify the chip set in your Firewire card. Given the big NVidia
chip on the board, that's probably what it is.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-.../ohciTool2.exe