Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_4_] david gourley[_4_] is offline

Default m-audio firewire 410

dimercaprol said...news:84f34e44-b452-4efd-9d7b-
:

Since things are quiet with no one posting much, I thought I would put my

head above the parapet for once and ask if anyone knows about this.

I had a PC running Win 10, with a motherboard containing a built in

firewire socket. Using Windows 7 drivers, I was able to make this work.

However, the new PC does not have a built in firewire socket. I got a PCI

firewire card
(
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._b_asin_title_
o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which came with its own VIA driver.

This is not allowing the Firewire 410 driver to be installed. After some

searching, I found that legacy IE1394 OHCI compliant drivers have to be
installed. However, when I try to install the drivers (downloaded from a
link on the Microsoft knowledge base), the computer crashes with an
"Uncorrectable error" blue screen.

Has anyone managed to solve this?

Should I just dispose of the Firewire 410 and get a USB device instead? I

am not a professional - just enjoy recording my own stuff for fun so I
can't justify spending more than about £175.

Many thanks to all,
Dimercaprol

I needed a new Firewire card for Windows 10 in order to use my Midas board
for recording. VIA was never reliable for me.

I got one with a TI chip, and it works like charm with the legacy drivers.

HTH,
david