Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Default "Fast" Power supplies

Andy Evans wrote:
Speaking just in terms of building several PSUs and listening to them
all, I favour chokes and caps up to 47uF, as has been said by others.
Both polypropylene caps and chokes audibly improve the sound over
electrolytics, the exception being that I can't hear much difference if
I put a physically small 47uF electrolytic right after the rectifier
(damper diodes in my case), then follow that with polypropylenes. As
long as you have the room in your chassis, I just can't see why anybody
would use electrolytics in place of polypropylenes - motor run caps are
cheap enough. The worst caps I ever used in a PSU were huge Mallory
computer grade electrolytics. Slow and dead - yuk!

I find that a smallish cap, like 10 uf before the first choke sounds
nice, and provides decent additional ripple control, while pulling b+
up a tad. I prefer choke input, but a wee bit up there helps out a lot
in my experience. Some like to put 1or 2 uf up there, but I didn't
notice much of a change anywhere else with that. To each their own.

Also, I've found that ASC polyprop in veg oil are nice filter caps, if
the room is available.

regards,
Bob H.