Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default GZ34

On 08/04/17 09:39, wrote:
As for the PS transformer, they were obviously being cheap if that happens.

Not cheap at all, simply makes good business sense. Over many years in sales with HP & R&S I had quite a bit of contact with Hammond. One comment I recall had to do with the relative cost of a tap vs. starting another winding. By the time that extra step filters thru to the end user it could be significant. Sales volume depends on reasonable cost as well as perfection.

I would expect hammond to be a bit better about things like this. It's
also starting to make my idea of a solid state switching HV power supply
for tube amps make a bit more sense... [eliminate imbalance, noise, etc.]

as for ground loop, most guitar amps end up being mic'd and so you don't
see it (the speaker etc. help make "the sound"). But if you connect
directly, they have phasing switches and grounded outlets to try to
minimize that. But I'd just use a ground loop elinator anyway. Each
computer that I have plugged into this mixer goes through a ground loop
adaptor. So yeah, been there too.

If I connect a guitar directly, it doesn't go through an amp. It just
goes into the board.