Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default LP still better than Digital?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:44:28 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

On Sat Jun 16 14:31:54 2012 Audio Empire wrote:

I admit that this isn't very scientific and there's plenty of room for slip
between the audio quality of the various "versions" of these two venerable
analog "classics" , but at the very least it shows that we shouldn't be too
quick to pronounce the death of vinyl yet... even OLD vinyl. There's still a
lot of musical enjoyment to had there.

My bet is that the LP grooves are sending uncorellated noise to both
channels, giving an impression of spaciousness and even depth that is
artificial but quite enjoyable. The higher freq noise would also give
a "sheen" to the strings. I noticed several times that when I listened
to an FM broadcast with a lot of noise surrounding the music (due to
reception) the music had this imaging quality, as if the brain is
trying to listen around the noise and fills in some details. Anyway,
with uncorellated noise the two channels have a maximum difference
from each other, which may have a psychoacoustic effect similar to
sonic holography, or at least providing an artificial ambience behind
the music signal.

Gary Eickmeier

Possible. I guess. Whatever the reason, there's still a lot of listening
pleasure in those old grooves for any rational music listener.