Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

In article , Tobiah wrote:
On 7/4/19 6:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Simon wrote:
I am getting ready to buy my first audio interface. With no digital record=
ing experience, I need some advice on monitoring overdubs. I had been look=
ing at the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt audio interface (connected to=
my HP Spectre x360 with Thunderbolt 3) because it has especially low laten=
cy in hopes that I would be able to monitor my live overdub tracks via the =
DAW. However, Focusrite Tech Support suggested I get the USB version of th=
e Clarett instead because there are problems with the Thunderbolt implement=
ation on some Windows machines. Has anyone here tried to use Thunderbolt o=
n the HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac076nr (Z4Z25UA)?

Get a small cheap mixer for monitoring, so you don't have to monitor through
the computer. Some interfaces have such a thing built in, but there is no
reason not to just get a Mackie 1202 or something to have for the job,
because someday you'll want it for something else anyway.

I differ on this point. I had a 1402 in front of my audio interface
for years. When I finally realized how to use the monitor mix in
software I realized that the mixer was entirely superfluous. Some
can't let go of the feel of faders, I get it, but that's really all
a dedicated mixer has to offer given the software that comes with
a well designed interface.

Not all interfaces have an analogue monitor mix arrangement, though. Many do,
and agreed that if you have it that you don't need an external mixer for that.

Still it is a handy thing to have around.