Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

On 9/05/2019 9:37 AM, nickbatz wrote:
Mike wrote:

"Sounds are as good as you want to pay for. What comes with the basic
program varies from blah to pretty good, and what's blah and what's good
depends on what you're looking for. "

You might be surprised at how good the stock sounds - and plug-ins - are these days.

I use Logic Pro X for most things *, and some of the synths in particular are really good - as you say, depending on what you're looking for. It's almost silly that it's only $200.

* Meaning that I use it for writing music and Pro Tools for anything that involves audio editing.

Flatfish wrote:

"The most obtuse and difficult DAW program I ever used was Emagic
Logic for the PC. Many years ago of course. I literally could not get
a squeak out of that one and actually had a student at the local
college help me set it up. What a bear albeit probably the most
powerful MIDI program at the time."

If I remember right you had to set some things up in the Environment back then. They've changed the interface a lot since Apple bought the company.

While there are layers and layers of features (and very few people know or use all of them), just the basics of recording and editing don't seem very complicated to me.

I've always found all the German-designed apps really non-intuitive to use.

geoff