Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Default surround sound 5.1 cables: 6 RCA vs toslink vs HDMI

willbill wrote:
Sonnova wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:59:48 -0800, willbill wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

I have an HD-A2. I use coaxial digital to connect to my
Harman-Kardon AVR-7000. This receiver uses Lexicon surround-sound
processing - which is is why I bit the bullet and paid close to
$2000 for it and is excellent. I've never tried the 6 analog
outputs from the player.

the Toshiba HD-A2, that you have,
does *not* have 6 analog outputs!

correct me if i'm wrong.

It might not, I've never actually looked.

fwiw, i thought that it did but then went
out to www.toshiba.com and checked and
discovered that of the 6 current models
only the most expensive of each line
has 6 analog outputs!

so i can't justify one for it's ability
to upscale normal DVD movies

The ability to upscale DVDs isn't the only issue.

The HD-A35 does have analog outputs (in addition to HDMI and Toslink),
and it has the capability of processing most of the new high rez audio
formats, including DD PLus, DD TrueHD (lossless), DTS, DTS-HD High
Resolution, and DTS Master Audio (lossless). Although there aren't many
discs with high rez audio at this time, most seem to expect more of them
in the coming year. With the A35 or a comparable player you would have
the ability to send surround audio in analog form to your AVR or pre/pro
via either analog cables, or audio in one of the digital formats via
HDMI or Toslink, as you prefer. - Whichever sounds best to you.

In addition to its upscaling function, it would be relatively future
proof with respect to processing formats that may be used on future
video (or audio) discs (though not including multi-channel SACD). Plus
being able to process HD video on HD DVDs. Although costing more than
the A2, I understand that the A35 is now available for less than $400
online, including several free discs, and close to that at BB or CC. -
I'm not stuck on this particular model, and others with similar
capabilities are expected to be introduced next year, but it seems to be
one that would have the capabilities you want, plus some you don't want
now but may want later.

Jim

Jim

you might consider doing an a/b of inputting
surround audio via coax digital (which you apparently
presently do) vs. toslink optical (also digital)

I doubt if there is any difference. In fact, when TOSLINK first
appeared, many audiophiles found just the opposite to be true. I.E.,
that TOSLINK sounded distinctly inferior to either coax or
glass-fiber, and indeed, some tests showed that the bandwidth of many
early TOSLINK setups was much narrower than that of either coax or
glass-fiber. However, that difference has been long since addressed.
The optical transducers on both ends of modern TOSLINK connections
have been significantly improved.

to my mind, better surround audio is the one real
trump card that they can play with hi def movies.
but so far they don't seem to have done it;
at least not yet. they certainly have plenty
of great source material in the vaults

bill