Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default surround sound 5.1 cables: 6 RCA vs toslink vs HDMI

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:07:26 -0800, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

willbill wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Sonnova wrote:

DTS sounds superior to Dolby 5.1.

Not necessarily.

really?

perhaps you could provide one DVD
movie title as an example?

How about instead you visit any AV/Home theater forum and see the endless
wars about this,
instead of cluttering up this one?

Since there are fewer than a dozen posts to this forum in any given day, I'd
say that we can probably stand a little "cluttering".

The fact is, to do a proper comparison, you'd have to find a movie where
you know that both DD and DTS tracks were mastered the same (same EQ), and
played back
the same (matched levels in all channels) ,so that you are only comparing the

encoding. And do
that listening comparison blind.

That's a tall order!

Get back to me when you'd done that. Until then, you can't necessarily say
one sounds better
than the other, based on non-linear measures like bitrate, or non-controlled
listening
comparisons.

Nobody (AFAICS) has the ability to know that except for the people who
actually produce the DVD and they tend to be so anonymous that nobody (except
an industry insider) would have access to that information.