Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Default surround sound 5.1 cables: 6 RCA vs toslink vs HDMI

Sonnova wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:13:39 -0800, willbill wrote
(in article ):

but going back to your HD-A2, do you find the
surround sound of the HD-DVD movies, that you've
so far gotten, to be noticeably superior to that
of ordinary DVD movies?

Absolutely,

ok

but not for the reasons that I suspect that you think. Most DVDs
are Dolby 5.1 encoded. AFAIK, all HD-DVD releases are DTS.

typo? every HD-DVD movie, that i've looked at
the back of, has shown the audio to be DD

DTS sounds superior to Dolby 5.1.

agreed, with the footnote that that's a comment
on those regular DVD movies that offer both
5.1 formats

to my mind, better surround audio is the one real
trump card that they can play with hi def movies.
but so far they don't seem to have done it;
at least not yet. they certainly have plenty
of great source material in the vaults

Cinema sound does not impress me that much.

i guess it impresses me more than you.

for one thing hi end audio, by itself,
would never have gotten this amazing
surround AVR equipment on the market

and without those AVR units, would we
have mutichannel SACD audio disks?

A film soundtrack is certainly NOT going to sound like a great
recording of the NY Philharmonic, and I don't expect it to.

agreed

bill