Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default surround sound 5.1 cables: 6 RCA vs toslink vs HDMI

willbill wrote:
ScottW wrote:

"willbill" wrote in message

surround sound 5.1 cables: 6 RCA vs toslink vs HDMI

for DVD movies with half decent DD5.1 and/or DTS5.1
sound, anybody else notice that their AVR (that has 6 RCA
inputs for 5.1, as well as a player with 6 RCA outputs)
sounds better when used with the 6 RCA cables?

I'd suggest that if you're making this kind of comparison
you might be unaware that the settings for channel
levels or bass management might not be the same
in the two configurations and therefore create a sound difference.

ScottW

yes, i'm well aware of the issues of SPL levels
when making listening comparisons; and yes the
AVR's bass management (level adjustment) is also
different when the sound comes in via toslink
vs. via the 6 RCA connectors

Do you have bass management and delays and speaker level settings
on in you player *and* your receiver?

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason