Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Microphones and the TSA

Frank Stearns wrote:

Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
carry-on baggage?

What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)

I often travel between Reno NV and Austin TX and I'm always carrying
mics and sometimes other kit, particularly the MIO.

I often have the Schoeps, some AKG C460's, maybe a couple dynamic vocal
mics. Only once have I been pulled aside so that the TSA guy could do
his thing all over my mic case. I could tell this resulted from the
baggage screener having no idea what was being shown on the screen.

"Sir, we'll have to confiscate that M940. Looks dangerous." What's
actually being thought: "Kewl! That'll sound GREAT on my acoustic guitar."

Heh. Acoustic guitar? What is that, anyway?? g

I'd never check a bag with the mics in it unless it was secured with
those TSA-approved padlocks.

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic