Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mac adapters

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:44:02 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Actually found another item that does the same thing. http://
macaudiopro.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=47126

That sure looks pretty nice; much fancier than the MCM part.
In some locations I'd worry about the weight and fragility
of the Mac end. But I'm a professional worrier.

I've also seen fairly compact, well isolated small systems
where the optical output from an all-in-one Mac was the
only way to get the buzz floor down enough to even be usable.
Even in home playback-only. Now that I remember it, a
friend still has the loan of my favorite little D/A converter
box in his office because it was the only way to cure the buzz.
Doh!

(The analog (headphones) outputs were unacceptably noisy.
Not ground loops, per se, but more like contaminated grounds.)

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck