Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bobby Owsinski

Default Broadcast vs. DVD peak levels

In article rr-F3FF2D.20295617032006@localhost,
Reid Rejsa wrote:

Hi All,

For the live broadcast mixing I do, the engineers at the station have
limited the control room audio to around +6VU (based on 0VU=-20 dbfs) so
peaks are allowed up to -14 dbfs. One engineer I know who does a lot of
broadcast TV spot mixing limits his audio to -9 dbfs to avoid triggering
broadcast limiters. My question to those of you who do a lot of DVD
video mixing is: how high do you all let your peak levels go when mixing
an audio for video project that's going to DVD? Do you use the full
dynamic range up to 0 dbfs, or limit it to some lower value?

Thanks,

Reid

It depends upon the client and how much of the DVD audio we can actually
do. If we do everything on the disc, then we'll push it up to -1dBFS
(which is still less than the -.1dB used on CDs).

If we only do the main program, then we ask the client for the preferred
level (usually -20). We do this because way back when we first started
mixing these things we had a few kicked back for being too loud.

--
Bobby Owsinski
Surround Associates