Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

On 18/07/2020 18:45, wrote:
Scott, geoff:

'Flat'(speakers, headphones, etc.) is not going to sound
good, simply because our hearing is anything but!

Why do you always find smiley EQ settings or the Bass
and Treble fully clockwise on consumer rigs? Because
those are the regions where most people's hearing is least
sensitive.

"Flat" sounds as close as possible to the original sound.

The smile EQ makes a sound more pleasant. When recording, I want the
response as flat as possible, so I can hear accurately what I am getting
on the recording. It does not need to "sound good", it needs to be
*accurate*.

The two response curves have completely different uses. I record using a
flat system response, and listen for pleasure with the bass and/or
treble slightly increased, depending on the source. I use a pair of
headphones with a slight HF peak when recording individual tracks, to
expose problems such as pick noise on a guitar, but I use a pair with
heavier bass when listening to recordings I've bought or made, as that
is my personal preference.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.