Old July 8th 14, 01:58 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Store PA Backgd Music Adjustment

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 6:27:41 PM UTC-4, David Martel wrote:
> Rocks,
>

> It does sound as if something is out of adjustment. Your mission, I'm
>
> afraid, is to convince the manager that he needs to have someone adjust the
>
> unit.
>
> If you can arrange an "after-hours" demo using your equipment to
>
> demonstrate the possible problem then the manager may see that the equipment
>
> may need some adjustment.
>
> You're in retail so sell this adjustment.
>

> Dave M.

Thx for the encouragement!

It's simple gain staging. Whatever is feeding the music(a pc or standalone satellite subscription box) is too hot. It just needs to be turned down so the corresponding level knob on the main amp/mixer(Aux) can be operated in a useful range.

Another problem, as mentioned before, are the spots that break in every 10-15 minutes "Welcome to our store" "look for specially marked tags for half off this week". I don't know if those are fed from a separate source or handled by the same source that pipes in the music.

I visited our stores in neighboring towns and they all have the music at a much more listenable(but not intrusive) level.

If I keep mentioning it I know this otherwise quiet, mild-mannered manager will get hissy, so I've given up.