Mkuller

Default Audio Research for ProAcs?

"Santos L Halper" wrote:

I've heard that Audio Research tube amps pair well with ProAc
speakers. I have a pair of Response 2.5 and I'm thinking about
picking up some secondhand AR amps to drive them. I'm not
looking to spend a whole boatload of money, and was mainly
considering the less expensive or older AR products. One
combination that would be in my price range would be the
LS-7 and VT-60 - anyone heard this combo with ProAcs?
Opinions on other AR combos or similar competing products
very welcome.

I have owned ProAc Response 3s and 3.5s and used them successfully with ARC
line stages like the LS-7 (they sound a little lean and tilted towad the upper
midrange, but very open and dynamic IMO). However, I have never tried the ARC
amps along with them. I would suspect they would be a good match because of the
ProAcs' flat impedance curve and high sensitivity. But you may want to try
other amps with the combination to see what sounds best to you. The ProAcs
have a very transparent midbass (but not much below that) and are very musical
sounding. Even a good solid state amp might work well.
Regards,
Mike