Uptown Audio

Default Thoughts on Magneplanar MGIIB Speakers?

They will in all probability need new membranes and that would off-set
their cost. They would therefore need to be very affordable, say
$50.00. It will likely cost a few hundred to get them back together
and the total bill of $350.00 for a renewed set would be acceptable if
it's planars that you fancy. They also behave differently from regular
(dynamic) loudspeakers and you may find them not to be as cool as the
initial thought once all is said and done. As if that wasn't enough,
buy them from your boss? What are you thinking?! I can't think any any
good scenarios arising from a problem with the transaction. All that
considered, I would pass.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Wenslauw wrote:

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in

message
Hi, I have a chance to purchase a set of ~20 year old

Magneplanar MGIIBs
that are in good condition. What is a fair price for these
speakers? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers -

are they
good? The reviews of the current day speakers are very good,

but I havent
found anything about MGIIBs - thanks!

My first question would be why you would even consider buying 20

year old
speakers you don't know anything about?
With old Maggies there can be tears in the membrane from wear. And

the wires
on the membrane can have gotten loose. At least that's what I

think could be
the case. I'm really looking in to Magnepan as I am thinking of

buying the
1.6 model. hm, not thinking anymore, just thinking of when the

right time
is.

The speakers are my bosses that he used for his home stereo. About

5
years ago he put them into storage and hasnt used them since. He

said
when he put them in storage they were in perfect working condition.

So i
do know something about them, sorry, i should have made that

apparant. He
said they would be really cheap if I wanted them, provided they

arent
damaged, of course. Ill take your advice into consideration though

when
examining for damage though, thanks.