Mike Caffrey

(jon) wrote in message . com...
hello. recently, i've been reading about real tube preamps vs
inexpensive tube simulators (like the art stuff). i know that the
peavey vmp-2 is considered a "real" tube preamp, and it's
affordable...but i can't find one. i'd really like to get that "real"
class-a tube preamp sound...but the stuff by avalon and manley is out
of my price range.

now i have a few questions that i'm hoping some experienced members
might be able to help me out with: is the peavey tmp-1 considered a
"real" tube preamp like the vmp-2? should i bail on the "real" tube
thing and get a presonus mp20 (with saturation simulation)? how is the
presonus mp20 when it comes to getting that "real" tube sound, despite
the lack of tubes? how about the bellari rp220...is that a "real" tube
preamp? ahhhh!

Don't distrated by the tube myth. What people like for warmth is the
sound of transformers. I'm pretty sure that if people cone only have
one pre foar a wrm sound they'd probably choose a class A Neve pre
which is solid state. SOme of the warest geart is solid state.

That's not to say that there isn't plenty of great tube gear out
there, just don't limit your choices. IF you're looking for the best
advice, post your beduget and what you intend to use the pre for.