Posted to rec.audio.pro
Linda Masterson Linda Masterson is offline

Default Star Quad Cable Wiring (Canare)

Okay, so I speak another language than you guys. First the keyboard in
question had a SLIGHT BIT OF *NOISE* WHEN THE MIXER GAIN STAGING WAS
CRANKED. I shouldn't have said hum but if you check the English language
and definition:

Hum:
1.to make a low, continuous, droning sound.
2.to give forth an indistinct sound of mingled voices or *noises*.

I should have said *noise* and I am sorry.

The keyboard in question is a Yamaha YPG-235, and I just so happened to
get a notification from Guitar Center this morning of a *PRO AUDIO* sale
and this keyboard was selling for $299.99. LOL!!!

THE NOISE IS GONE and I thought I made that clear. I wired the star
quad cable like Mike suggested and I needed to split the braided
shielding in half and I soldered two short jumper wires (two of the
conductor wires from another cable (I used a blue and white wire for
those into color ;-) from the sleeve/shield (sorry if I am using the
wrong terminology) to the two 1/4 inch TS connectors. It eliminated what
little noise I had when CRANKED and blew the Livewire cable out of the
water which I will be returning. The Livewire though was much quieter
than my 1/4 inch TRS to two XLR cables. Capiche!

I used heat shrink and a heat gun to make it look tidy and neat and
where there is that V where the split is I used some of that white vinyl
electrical tape.

Looks great and no audible noise except what a dog might hear. This
keyboard can be used as a MIDI controller as well which can get a bit
expensive with 76 keys. It also has a graded keyboard for action but not
weighted by any means.

I have now spent no extra money by using parts and cable laying around
and I got the exact length needed which is around 14 feet tucked away
nicely. Sounds really good to my ears and I am very discerning when it
comes to sound samples along with no noise. :-)