Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default XY-MS what happened to the room ambience?

On 19/05/2017 03:56, wrote:

Look at Scott, someone rips a vinyl LP (posted on YouTube), and he ****es in the poster's face. Nice? No. However, that is typical of the mentality. If Scott were decent, he's download the LP rip, enhance it, and state what he believes sounds better. ?But, no, he's quick to criticize others.

Give Scott a copy of the LP, and time to do the work of removing surface
noise and so on, and it will come out sounding exactly the way the LP
would sound on a decent playback setup, possibly as good as the cutting
master tape did, with most of the analogue reproduction problems removed.

However, given what Youtube do to the audio on their product, there's
absolutely no point in downloading a track from there to "enhance" it,
as the information needed to make it sound like the original is just not
there. All that can be done is to do whatever you want to do, and then
people can say "What an impressively shiny turd that is."

Look, I can take the 3kHz shots, I think they're funny, but, hey, I had to know why I favored that particular band of frequency. Neil Young's Pono criticism gained me that knowledge.

You favour it becase you or your monitoring setup are partly or
completely deaf at that frequency, there is no other sensible explanation

--
Tciao for Now!

John.