-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

Default Silk v. Metal v. Ceramic...

Your theory is pretty on point. A lot of higher end speaker manufacturers
give you a choice of titanium or silk tweeters in their component sets due
to their different characteristics. Silk dome tweeters are known to be a bit
more smooth but not as bright and harsh. Titanium on the other hand is very
metallic sounding and bright. It is a good choice if you listen to a lot of
rap. Silk dome is more suited for softer music types like classical. But
there are other kinds too, neodymium, titanium alloys, even layered cone
tweeters. I have seen some of Pioneers and they even use damping material
inside of a small sealed enclosure for their flagship series of components.
Its hard to choose what to buy unless you hear them; some will sound
differently installed and tuned/filtered regardless of material used.

EFFENDI

"Bill Pallies" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering what the general tonal differences are between the various
tweeter materials. For some reason, I tend to think that, for example,

silk
tweets are smoother sounding than titanium. I base this solely on my
experience with the materials themselves. Silk's all soft and, umm, silky.
Titanium is all hard and stuff :-). So therefore the way a material

*feels*
like in life is what is *sounds* like when oscillated several thousand

times
a second, right? Well, for some reason, I doubt my theory... Anybody know
the general characteristics?

-Bill