Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Questions on Levels

I smell a troll.

When somebody asks a question and gets the precise answer from several
people at once, and keeps on arguing that nobody has given him the
answer, then a troll should be suspected.

0dBFS is the level at which one or the other extremes of a digital
waveform is at maximum codeable level. There are no established
standards relating that to any standards in the analog world, be they
dBu, dBV, dBm or any other. There are some informal standards in the
movie and broadcast world, but no standards body such as IEC or AES
has adopted an official standard.

And Randy, before you tell me "I don't want to know what isn't, I want
to know what is," what I've written above is what is (a definition of
dBFS), and there really ain't no more, and until a standards committee
gets together and votes out a standard, there won't be.

Peace,
Paul