Arny Krueger

Default Effect of Room Sound in Close Mic'd Vox?

"FrankDebro1" wrote in message

SO, DOES THE ROOM MATTER WHEN CLOSE MIC'ING
VOX.? I usually have the singer about 3 inches from the pop screen
which is two inches off the mic. I plan on doing some A/B tests with
the singer in the live room, but I would like to hear your comments
as well.

I multitrack record live music in a very reverberent room. One dedicated
track for every vocalist's mic (SM57 with foam ball). The vocalists usually
hold the mics within 3 inches of their mouths or less. Yet, the room reverb
is clearly audible in every mic track. I have a dedicated track for a PZM
inside the piano, which is at most open to the first notch. Room reverb gets
in there, too.

I've heard other people record vocal tracks like these, that were very dead.
Must be the room.