Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Microsoft Sound Mapper Missing???

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 April 2010 00:46:37 UTC+1, Mike Rivers wrote:
So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move but
nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I can select Realtek (the built-in sounc card) as the audio device, and
that used to work fine, but it doesn't now. I don't have any other audio
devices (like a USB audio I/O) that I can plug in to try.

Could I have lost the Realtek/Microsoft driver?

At the risk of being presumptuous, two avenues:

Rt Click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager - Sound, Video and Game
Controllers -
check for drivers missing or update as needed

Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices - all of the controls for
your sound system -
check for something muted by chance

Gary Eickmeier