Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Microsoft Sound Mapper Missing???

On 4/7/2010 8:39 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is Microsoft's Windows
Update. It gets confused by some Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has
been known to download and attempt to download and install the wrong driver.
That breaks the previous driver. However, I haven't seen that happen for a
year or more.

Since this computer is off more than it's on, I have automatic updates
turned off (and even on computers where it's turned on, I always look
first before installing updates) and it hasn't had
an update in a few weeks.