Tony F

"To phrase that a different way; If I get a deck that has 5 Volt pre-amped
outputs, would that be a problem for the amplifier?"

No...no problem at all.

"Or are they completely seperate specs that shouldn't be
compared/contrasted, and I should quit worrying?"

I wouldn't say they aren't coexistent, but in your particular example I
would not worry at all. If I'm not mistaken, if you had a HU with a 8 volt
output you'd still be fine but the amp wouldn't be able to take full
advantage of the highter output. But then again, anything higher than 4 or
5 volts is a waste as far as I'm concerned. I've had numerous decks with 4
or 5 volts, and when comparing them with some others with 8 or 16 volts (my
current Eclipse has 8), I couldn't tell the difference.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub