View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
external usenet poster

Default Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

A couple of things: This is a 3-voice-coil woofer. The reason for it is quite simple:

a) Left Channel
b) Right Channel
c) Center Channel

Thereby allowing it to be used in a "modern" TV sound reinforcement system with a center channel, and include all three feeds in one box.

Some points:
- you do not need to use all three voice coils.
- you do not want to parallel any of them, much less all three of them.
- Conversely, there is no benefit in running them in series.

Now. More *stuff*. Bass is directionless only below -about- 500 hz. So, any speaker less than 10 - 12" or so will struggle to produce decent volumes below 500 hz. Meaning that there might be some undesirable 'directionality' with this speaker.

let's analyze 3 amps & 70 watts. That suggests that your amp needs to put out a nominal 24 v. This is trivial to a modern amplifier. That is part A. Part B is the likelihood that the rating you suggest is the Maximum Sustained Rating this speaker can handle over a normal distribution of frequencies, not the REQUIRED rating. Example: I have a pair of speakers 'rated' at 50 watts. I feed it from a 200 WPC amp. and whereas I will seldom clip, the speakers will see all 200 watts briefly on loud passages quite often, and sustain no damage. But, most of the time, the speakers will be seeing just a few watts. Seldom does much musical signal sustain a high output, and seldom do most users play at an ear-bleed level.

All of the above is very broad-brush, without any information on your source, amplifier, actual listening conditions, ultimate purpose and application of the speaker.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA