Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout Tim Sprout is offline

Default Ready......Aim......

On 10/7/2015 9:51 AM, polymod wrote:

"Angus Kerr" wrote in message

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:31:30 PM UTC+2, polymod wrote:
-snip-

Love the story!
As far as piano tuning goes, each case is different. I tune for a
couple of
local orchestra's and they all insist on A-440. Organs, unless they're
digital, is another thing entirely!

Poly

I'm surprised at that. I would guess that the oboe player sneaks a
couple of cents in when there's no piano in the programme (!) - and if
there is, they tune to the piano.

I mean 440 is a sort of international standard, but a lot of Europeans
find it on the flat side. I'll naturally tune higher. The organ though,
was painful.

When I concert-mastered the local amateur orchestra, I'd check the oboe
with a tuner - and I'd be happy with 443. In fact, if you tune to A440,
as the woodwinds warm up, they get sharper - and you'd probably end up
at 443. I would say I am not comfortable with anything lower than 440..

If you listen to old recordings, both pop/rock and classical, it's
amazing how the tuning varies so widely - before the age of digital
tuners. I still have an old tuning fork! Try playing to some old
records, and you'll have to adjust the tuning of the instrument you're
playing (if possible).

Ah...you bring up so many good points and it sounds like you have
seen/heard your share of pitch fluctuations.
This type of discussion deserves a pint or two ;-)

Poly

I am surprised at this discussion. I would have thought that you guys
with perfect pitch would prefer Just Intonation with it's pure intervals.

Tim Sprout